Saturday 2 December 2017

December is not a good month

A number of birthday celebrations meant I was pleased to record half pound losses for two consecutive weeks. This week I may not be so lucky.

Yesterday was Husband's birthday. He began the day with breakfast in bed: warm croissants, butter and jam; I had my usual weetabix.

For lunch, after a long walk, Husband had a cheese and beetroot sandwich; I had salad and a few prawns.

Tea time the family came around for birthday cheesecake; I made do with a cup of tea.
delia Smith cheesecake


Then we went to Slice for a meal.

Slice is one of our favourite restaurants. Not that we go there very often as I always leave it too late to book and we can't get in. In fact, we only got in yesterday because of a last minute cancellation.

But I had it all planned: I would refuse any offer of bread, and only have two courses. Husband could have cheesecake for pudding when he got home.

(Have you guessed where this story is leading yet?)

The waitress brought us a basket of warm, mini loaves, one white and one seeded, and a bowl of pale butter. The smell alone was filled with calories so I decided I might as well eat it - but only with a scraping of butter as oppose to my usual lashings.

For starter I had venison carpaccio, cold parsnip puree, parsnip crisps and pickled red cabbage.

For main I had roasted monkfish, curried cauliflower, mussels and something else I can't remember.

Then when we said we didn't want dessert the waitress pointed out that it was included in the set price ...

So I had apple bavarois (a sort of apple custard), apple compote, honey madelines and a very rich and creamy ice cream.

Probably enough syns to keep me going until Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment